The Perfect Pointe Book

Hi Guys! This is the official blog for my fantastic new ballet book, "The Perfect Pointe Book"! The book is designed too teach you how to get strong enough for pointe work. It has tests to see where you are at, and exercises to help you get stronger in all the right places! Feel free to post any questions or comments you have, and update me on your progress!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

What Is A Piriformis Stretch?


Hi Guys,

I had a few questions after the last email, asking exactly what a Pirifomis stretch is. Well, all is uncovered in the book, but just so everyone can start getting more mobile into their hips I thought I would post a picture to explain it a little more. And yes, pictures do speak 1000 words!

This stretch is fabulous for releasing off tension in the back of the hip, and may relieve mild tension in the low back. Remember, there should be no pain at all with this stretch.

* Lie on your back, with your spine straight and legs long.
* Bring one knee up towards your chest, keeping your back still.
* Using the same hand as the lifted leg, guide the knee over your navel.
* Use the other hand to slowly pull your shin around towards the opposite hip.
* Keep your spine straight and shoulders relaxed.
* Both hips should stay on the floor.
* Remember to BREATHE!
* Hold for 10 - 20 seconds, then relax the leg down.
* Repeat with the other side, at least 2 times each side.

I hope this helps!!

Happy Dancing,

Lisa Howell (B.Phty)

3 Comments:

  • At 3:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lisa
    I am about to go on pointe and am not sure whether I need elastics on my shoes or not. I see some of the Advanced girls have elastic as well as ribbons - what are they for?
    Thanks

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Anonymous,
    Elastics are a personal preference. You can try w/ and w/out and see what you like more.
    Hope this helps!

     
  • At 4:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lisa,
    I wanted a little favour from your end.
    I have been suffering from pelvic misalignment for pretty long time now. it has already done some harm to my body by now.
    Can you provide me with some stretches which can help me in reducing the leg length inequalities.
    i will keep in touch with ur blog.
    pls do reply.
    Thnx in advance.
    Samarth
    samarth_1988@rediffmail.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home