The Perfect Pointe Book

Hi Guys! This is the official blog for my fantastic new ballet book, "The Perfect Pointe Book"! The book is designed too teach you how to get strong enough for pointe work. It has tests to see where you are at, and exercises to help you get stronger in all the right places! Feel free to post any questions or comments you have, and update me on your progress!

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Newsletter 3 - Improving Height Of The Leg En L'air


I hope you liked the clip on youtube! Amazing huh? If you find any other cool videos, feel free to post me the link so I can check it out. Or, you can even upload a video of you doing the tests and exercises from "The Perfect Pointe Book" so that I can see how you are doing!

If you havent downloaded a copy yet, go to

www.theperfectpointebook.com/index2.html

You can download it immediately and save delivery time! Most of my girls print it out,and then take it to a copyshop to get bound and with a clear plactic cover. This makes it really easy to use as you can flip to and from the workbook at the back.

Question of the week...

With quite a few competitions and exams coming up, a common question I have had this week is... "How do I get my legs higher with a developpe?".

So many dancers have good flexibility when stretching, but find it hard to use this when dancing, especially with a developpe. If you simply practise the step over and over, often the result is bulky thighs, with not a lot of increase in range. This will happen if you are trying to use the front of the leg to lift, rather than controlling the leg from the hip.

* To work out all the true muscles needed to work the leg devant, lie on your back, with your legs out straight and your hands on your hips.

* Slowly pull the foot up into a retire position (feel your inner thighs working!).

* Make sure that the hips stay square, and dont hitch or twist!

* Slowly unfold the leg as for a developpe working on controlling the turnout from the hip, and lengthening the leg.

* You will not be able to cheat by tucking the pelvis in this position, but the leg will feel a lot lighter, so you can focus on correct placement!

* Slowly lower the leg, making sure you use your abdominals so that your back dosent arch!

* If you can control the leg and pelvis well with a developpe to 90 degrees without moving the hips, you will be able to acheive a much greater height of leg when you let the pelvis become involved (it has to begin to shift a little above this). However, if you are hitching and struggling to get to 90 degrees, you will find it very hard to improve beyond this point unless you really focus on your stability!


You can also do this for a developpe a la seconde (Lying on your side), but make sure that your hips start and end nice and square. You do need to rotate the pelvis slightly towards the end of the movement, but this should be gradual, and only as much as you really need!

If you practise developpe in this position, your muscles will learn how to control the leg much easier, and you will find that your range improves quite quickly! Then, when you practise in standing, everything feels alot more familiar!

Good Luck!

Keep those posts coming, I love hearing how you are going with your dancing!



Happy Dancing!!

Lisa :)

www.theperfectpointebook.com/index2.html

Lisa Howell (B.Phty)

11 Comments:

  • At 2:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello, I'm a french dance teacher
    (French Guiana - South America)
    and I'm order your book but I'm waiting a DVD now! Tell me if you think of that. Excuse me for my bad Englisn. In french: avez-vous pensez à un dvd pour travailler la souplesse or streching. Merci Francine

     
  • At 5:08 AM, Blogger Physio said…

    Hi Francine

    I am actually working on a Flexibilty dvd at the moment! Great minds think alike! I will let you know when it is all done. Thanks for your interest! I love to see that this knowledge can be used all over the world!

    Best wishes

    Lisa

     
  • At 5:35 AM, Blogger Physio said…

    Hi Francine

    I am actually working on a Flexibilty dvd at the moment! Great minds think alike! I will let you know when it is all done. Thanks for your interest! I love to see that this knowledge can be used all over the world!

    Best wishes

    Lisa

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    how do you become more flexible , lessen the odour in the shoe and easily do a pirouette on pointe. thanks!

     
  • At 5:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, i cant do a double pirouette, although i always try very hard to get it, but i jus seems to not get it. Pls Help

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've bene looking at your homepage for a couple of days now looking for an answer to my question, i didn't find it, though. I've been dancing ballet for 13 years and en pointe for 2. However i am in america right now and i'm not able to dance here for a couple of reasons. I wanna get back en pointe though, and i have my shoes. I just wanted to ask, if you have any exercise/tip you could give me for getting en pointe again quick and to improve the strength in my left foot, since i've noticed it is not as strong as my right foot.
    I'd appreciate it a lot.
    Thanks, Karla

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was wondering about flexibility in turnout. I myself have pretty good turnout on flat, but whenever I am on pointe I can't seem to turn out at all the same when on flat and releve. I can turn out when my leg is lifted off the ground with pointe shoes so I know it's not just that I'm distracted on pointe. Is there a reason why this happens? and more importantly, is there anything I can do to turn out better well on pointe?
    thanks, -bree

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey! Thanks Lisa this blogspot is great! I also love your newsletter - my turnout, extensions and general knowledge have improved heaps!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    For all those people who have trouble with pirouettes en pointe I found that simply doing many relves with leg in coup de pie (spelling sorry) on the bar and center helps heaps! As you get better and better you can hold the releves for so much longer. It really improves your strength as well and the action of getting up and down on one leg leads to fouettes! - aswell as almost every other move :D! I improved from only just getting a single piroutte and being able to do 2 releves on the barre to doing doubles and sometimes triples and doing over 24 releves in the center!!

    I hope this helps everyone, and remember releve, releve, releve!

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey!
    I'm 17years old and I already dance 11years ballet (4years pointe work). It's going pretty well but I find it hard to do a pirouette on point..Do you have any tips? I have one other problem: My left leg is way less souple than my right... Any tips to fix that?

    (sorry for my English, I come from Belgium)
    Thanks !

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello, I was wondering what the best stretch to improve your arch is. My foot points okay, but my arch does not pop out like professionals do. Please help me improve it!

     
  • At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi...i was just wondering if you have posted anything on a perfect point. my feet are a bit flexable around the toes and im pointing with them and not the arch of my foot so yeah please tell me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home