The Perfect Pointe Book

Hi Guys! This is the official blog for my fantastic new ballet book, "The Perfect Pointe Book"! The book is designed too teach you how to get strong enough for pointe work. It has tests to see where you are at, and exercises to help you get stronger in all the right places! Feel free to post any questions or comments you have, and update me on your progress!

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Question... What Are Elastics On Pointe Shoes For?

Hi Guys, I had this question posted on the blog earlier today and as it is a question I get asked a lot, I thought it deserved its own post...

"Hi Lisa. I am about to go on pointe and am not sure whether I need elastics on my shoes or not. I see some of the Advanced girls have elastic as well as ribbons - what are they for? Thanks, (Anon)"

Often girls use elastics to help keep the heel of their shoe on, but this is usually not necessary if the shoe is fitted well. If the shoe is too small, then some girls find that the heel pops off when rising through demi-pointe. I would never use the elastic as a matter of course, and only if you have tried many shapes of shoes, and the ones that fit you foot the best insist on sliding off. I have many girls who do not use elastic, and some that will not consider performing without it. It is personal preferrence. Trying a shoe with a deeper heel, or using an adhesive heel grip are other alternatives.

Mostly the elastic is attached to the center of the heel and then around the ankle to keep the shoe on, however some girls with an extreemely arched foot require a supportive wide elastic band across the front of the shoe to help hold them in. This is usually a strngth issue so should be only very temporary.

I hope this helps!!

Happy Dancing,

Lisa Howell (B.Phty)

Perfect Form Physiotherapy

1 Comments:

  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Lisa

    I have tried several times to send an email to your perfect form physio address and it has bounced back each time.
    I purchased one of your PPS books and have not received any communncation since meeting you at IADMS.
    What is the process for being an affiliate? Is your blog page used for the forum?

    I look forward to your reply.

    Regards

    Deborah Sumner BHSc(physio), PGDipSci, RAD.RTS
    New Zealand

     

Post a Comment

<< Home