The Perfect Pointe Book

Hi Guys! This is the official blog for my fantastic new ballet book, "The Perfect Pointe Book"! The book is designed too teach you how to get strong enough for pointe work. It has tests to see where you are at, and exercises to help you get stronger in all the right places! Feel free to post any questions or comments you have, and update me on your progress!

Monday, March 05, 2007

Problems on demi-pointe


One of the girls, Roxi, who gets my emails, asked if she could send a picture of her feet to me so that I could comment on them for her. I thought you all might be able to learn from what I said, so here is my reply....


Hi Roxi

It seems to me that you are not getting fully up onto demi pointe. There may be several reasons for this. Either you are too tight in the muscles under your big toe; the big toe joint may be too stiff, you may have a restriction in the pointe range of your ankle, or you may have the range, but not the strength to rise up onto demi pointe on a single leg.

Test your range by pushing that foot up to demi pointe while the other one is on the floor and see if you can take it to full range. If not, try massaging the undersurface of your foot, behind the big toe joint (first metatarsal) with a golf ball or your fingers for a few minutes, and then try again.

If you do have the range, but not the strength, try rising to a ful demi pointe on both feet, transfer the weight onto one, and then lower slowly

(see the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbDrJHItcEU )

This will help build the strength at the height of your rise and single leg ones will get easier and easier.

I would really recommend getting a copy of The Perfect Pointe Book,

www.theperfectpointebook.com/index2.html

as this goes over loads of things like this in much more detail, and I think it will help you out a lot! This is why I wrote it!

I hope this helps!

Take care,

Lisa

8 Comments:

  • At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heya,
    I'm having trouble fully understanding some of these stretches from Newsletter 2. Could you please explain the following ones in greater detail?

    * Slowly rotate your low back from side to side (at least 8 times).

    * Then gently work your hips through their full range (knees bent)by pulling them into your chest then rotating them to the sides (4 times each direction each leg).

    * Then roll over and bring your foot to your bottom to stretch the front of the thigh.

    * Turn the hips slowly to face one side wall, and then the other, feeling for points of restriction.

    * Finally, hold behind the back of one knee and gently extend the knee to stretch the back of the thigh. It should already feel looser than normal, so just hold a gentle stretch, and make sure that your shoulders and arms are relaxed! Spine straight!

    Thank you very much :)
    By the way, do you go on dance.net at all? They would LOVE you there!

     
  • At 6:04 AM, Blogger Ksenia said…

    Hi, Lisa! I'd like to say you THANKS FOR YOUR WORK!
    I'm from Russia. Many people here know English, but many people don't. I'm translating your free Dancers Newsletters and posting it to my LiveJournal. Do you mind it?

     
  • At 2:48 AM, Blogger Physio said…

    Hi Ksenia,

    That is totally fine :) Thanks! The more people who can access this kind of information the better if you ask me!

    Just make sure you leave the links in so people can go to the book if they want to :)

    Take care,

    Lisa

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger Andrea said…

    Hi,Lisa. I am a 9th grader in a US private school and I am on the dance team. We do many styles of dance including some classical ballet. I was woundering if you must be a certain size to do ballet or to go en pointe. I am not very tiny, I do have extra weight, but I am very strong.Is there a weight range that is required or reccomended for this style of dance or for pointe?

     
  • At 1:20 PM, Blogger Becca R.G. said…

    Hi,
    I've been having similar problems with demi-pointe, on both feet and on one foot. I'm beginning to think it may be that my ankle doesn't stretch all the way flat. If this is the problem, what can I do about it, and how does this affect my ability to do pointe work?
    Thanks,
    Becca R.G.

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lisa!
    This is a great blog (and the video clips!), and you tips are really helpful!

    I seem to have a similar problem as Roxi, so I tried the massage and while it got a bit better not as good as my other foot. I'm guessing range is the problem , is there anything I can do about it?

    Thanks,
    Agnieszka

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi liza
    first i just want to say thanks you are really helping me with my preperation for pointe
    atltough i dont have the same problems as roxi but my friend does and she is on pointe and i doesnt seem to have made a difference

    from

    pip

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger none said…

    Hey, Lisa. i'm so glad I found your blog. I'm a subscriber to your YoutTube videos and email list and your tips have helped my ballet a lot.

    Stay on your toes,

    Selly

    http://danceoutlook.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home